Pages

Monday, December 7, 2009

What just happened?

I feel like three weeks just flew past me. It's been a crazy month with reading week, Thanksgiving and computer-related incidents to keep my busy.

Let me just say the concept of a reading week is awesome. A week where you can catch up on anything you have fallen behind on or get ahead for. I wrote almost 50 pages worth of material over that week and let me tell you, I glad it's over. Of course, I was three-quarters done with my final paper and my computer decides to stop working.

Kind of.

Apparently my computer was made with a faulty video card that blew, rendering everything I have on my computer inaccessible. Luckily, I had a backup disk but I was missing a couple pages of material for one paper that I finally finished today--it's due tomorrow.

I've been enjoying the drama of the close of the college football season, although I wish Nebraska DT Ndamukong Suh would have blocked Saxet's field goal and cemented the Heisman. I can dream. As it is, I think Suh deserves the award, but he probably will come in second.

It has been an interesting week here in Dallas. The pastor of The Village Church, where Whitney and I have been attending, was diagnosed with a brain tumor last week. Thank God the doctors removed it, but he is still recovering and if my Christian View of Art professor is to be believed--and I trust him here especially--Matt [Chandler] will have a splitting head ache for a week or two.

The semester is finally drawing to a close and I'm not too sure what to do with myself. As of Friday, I am effectively done with all but one of my classes. All that's left is to turn in term papers and take one final exam. The only class I have remaining is an Introduction to Theology class that has really challenged me intellectually. It's not that the material is itself difficult, but the form of reasoning is a change. The class right now is really focused on helping us change the way we think and reason, particularly within a secular world.

I am really glad I lucked into taking this class with the professor I did, the man is a genius. Right now, we're discussing philosophy of science and the merits of scientific thinking versus religious thinking. I've always been a little intimidated about discussions involving faith and science--fascinated, but intimidated--but now I feel I have a sound way of reasoning with most people.

In closing, I'll leave you with a quick note about a trip Whitney and I took to Hobby Lobby. We were looking for some stockings and a nativity scene when we came across this little diddy:




Talk about taking Christ out of Christmas. Maybe its really an advent scene?

-Caleb Williams

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hahahah, at first I didn't know why you posted that picture, but then I saw that it said "Missing Baby Jesus" on the box. Oh man.

Caleb Williams said...

Yeah, sorry. That was taken via crappy cell phone camera.