Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

To tell a story

I miss writing. I mean really writing. Writing with a purpose, writing with a story to tell. I guess there just aren't that many stories in my life right now. None that anyone will want to read anyway.

Lately I have been sitting behind my computer screen for what seems like 12 hours a day. The keyboard attached to the bottom of by silver-colored MacBook Pro feels like a part of me now. The LCD screen is like a window to the world that is passing by while I tirelessly toil away, trying to become something I never thought I would be. I have been playing with multimedia for a long time now and until relatively recently I have seen much of it as only a hobby. Now I'm beginning to think that I might actually be on to something with it.

My problem is that I have no area that I can really call my own. My specialty used to be writing, but only because that was all I ever did. Lately I have been playing with graphic and Web design and development. I love it, but I still love writing.

I've noticed a correlation between the two fields though: Both require a story, both are message begging to be told. Whether that is the relationship between sound and light, client and employee or man and city hall, they are all stories that need to be told.

That's my story now. I'm learning to tell stories in a whole new way; a whole new language.

-Caleb Williams

1 comment:

Robin said...

I have to say... I miss the writing. Love you... Mom